Spring is the perfect time to revisit or establish the curb appeal of your home. BidSelect has some great ideas to garnish a few nods of appreciation from your neighbors and make a statement to visitors and guests alike. Invest in minor updates that will result in a major impact. Below are some easy and affordable ways to freshen up the front and perimeter of your home.
- Pick up: Remove the clutter in your yard, around doors, and in windows is not only a safety issue it is visually unappealing. Secure any loose lines, cables, etc. so that they are not freely dangling at or near the home.
- Trim: Cut back overgrowth in your bushes, trees, and any ground covering. Pull any weeds that may have come up and edge the lawn.
- Wash: Use a power washer to rid grime that has collected on the walkways, siding, and patios. These areas may also need a refresh by way of repair with filling in holes, and cracks. Consider stamped or stain concrete as an option to update the overall look.
- Paint: There is a great deal of paintable areas on the exterior of a home. Either touch up or redo them. This includes both metal and wood, such as shutters, siding, window/roof trim, railings, curb numbers, gables, posts, and both the front and garage doors. This may be the time to consider updating the front and garage doors with newer versions.
- Check: If you have window or solar screens make sure that they are intact and secure. Replace torn or damaged ones and while at the windows give that glass a good scrubbing both inside and out.
- Clean: Look at your rain gutters, are they level, free of dents and damage and secure to the home? Clear out any gathered leaves and clutter from them and make sure that the downspouts are free of obstruction.
- Prevent: Do a quick inspection around the perimeter of your home and fill in or repair any cracks or openings that may have occurred over the previous year to assist in keeping out pests. This is also a good time to check for any damage that may be present or changes that cause concern so that a professional can be brought in for an evaluation.
- Refresh: If you have flower beds touch up the look with fresh mulch, weed it, trim the edges and update the plants that are occupying the space if needed. Remember to place larger plants to the back and cascade them forward and down for a better appeal.
- Add Color: This can be done with paint such as a dramatic door, with flowers (hanging baskets-potted plants-raised beds-window boxes, area trim enhancements, etc.), tasteful yard art, and contrasting stones around specific areas of the yard. Remember to have a color scheme.
- Light: Strategically place lights around the yard to highlight areas such as the entrance, the address, the walkway, and paths. This is great time to consider updating your outdoor lighting fixtures as well. There are some great new options that are energy efficient and elegant too.
Taking the time to make small changes will greatly improve overall appearance and first impressions made. Remember moderation, tasteful inviting design, and clear intent in your layout will have you standing out in the neighborhood for all the right reasons!
For more interesting information and household tips, stay tuned to this blog. For more information about buying or selling your home, or to see current homes in your area, visit https://www.bidselect.com. Don’t forget to join our online community by connecting with us on Facebook and Twitter.